Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Making Yogurt at Home

Updated: October 21, 2011 with more yogurt cultures including Kosher and vegan options.

I adore yogurt. It is great to marinade meat with like in my tandoori chicken or just as an easy and quick snack. I even use homemade yogurt in place of sour cream in recipes or to make creamy soups. Buying yogurt in the grocery store can be expensive especially when you have multiple members of the family who all enjoy yogurt on a daily basis.


To combat the cost of organic yogurt, I make my own. I do not use a specialized yogurt maker because I don’t need any more clutter in my kitchen especially when I can make yogurt with supplies that I already have in my kitchen. It is really easy to do. The basic premise is to heat the milk to kill any other bacteria, bring the temperature down to a good incubation temperature, add the culture, and hold the temperature until the reaction is complete. The other nice thing about yogurt is that you can take your homemade yogurt and keep making new yogurt from the supply that you already have so there is no need to keep buying new cultures.

There are many different cultures that you can use to make yogurt. I started my yogurt with a container of store bought organic Greek yogurt that contained active live cultures (you must start with active live cultures) that contained Lactobacillus bulgaricus, Lactobacillus acidophilus, and Streptococcus thermophiles. You can also purchase cultures from an on-line vendor. Different cultures will give you different flavors of yogurt. Listed below are some different yogurt cultures with links of where to buy them:

1. Traditional Yogurt Starter from Cultures for Health: This yogurt tastes similar to the yogurts found in the grocery store with a firm texture contains Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus, Streptococcus thermophilus, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifdobacterium longum, Bifdobacterium infanti.

2. Mild Flavor Yogurt for Yogurt Makers from Cultures for Health: mild with a heavy body contains Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus, Streptococcus thermophilus

3. Greek Yogurt Starter from Cultures for Health: thick, rich, and slightly tangy contains L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus

4. Bulgarian Yogurt Starter from Cultures for Health: rich and creamy contains L. Bulgaricum, S. Thermophilus


5. Viili Yogurt Starter from Cultures for Health: This unique yogurt can be made at room temperature making this one of the easiest yogurts to culture. This is a very thick and mild yogurt containing Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris, Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis biovar. diacetylactis, Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. cremoris.


6. Piima Yogurt Starter from Cultures for Health: Another yogurt that can be made at room temperature! I wish these yogurt starters were available when I started making yogurt. This would have made the culturing process so much easier. This is very thin yogurt that can be used as a beverage contains S. lactis var. bollandicus and S. taette.


7. Matsoni Yogurt Starter from Cultures for Health: Yet another room temperature yogurt. This is thick and tart yogurt containing L. lactis subsp. Cremoris and Acetobacter orientalis.


8. Filmjolk Yogurt Starter from Cultures for Health: Cultured at room temperature this yogurt does not have a sour flavor instead this soft custard style yogurt has cheesey flavor containing Lactococcus lactis and Leuconostoc mesenteroides
9. Bulgarian yogurt from New England Cheesemaking: rich, creamy, and tangy contains Streptococcus thermophiles and Lactobacillus bulgaricus

10. Tangy yogurt from New England Cheesemaking: tangy yogurt that contains Streptococcus thermophiles and Lactobacillus bulgaricus, Lactobacillus delbrueckii, Streptococcus lactis

11. Sweet yogurt from New England Cheesemaking: creamy, rich, and sweet yogurt that contains Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium, Steptococcus thermophiles, Lactobacillus delbrueckii

12. ABY 612 from Dairy Connection: full flavor and medium body containing Streptococcus thermophiles, Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. Bulgaricus, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium longum, Bifidobacterium infantis

13. ABY-2C from Dairy Connection: mild flavor and thick body yogurt containing Streptococcus thermophiles, Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. Bulgaricus, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium longum, Bifidobacterium infantis

14. Yoghurt Type I from Glengarry Cheesemaking in Canada: contains Streptococcus thermophiles and Lactococcus bulgaricus

15. Yogurt Type IV from Glengarry Cheesemaking in Canada: Streptococcus thermophiles, Lactococcus bulgaricus, Lactobacillus acidophilus

Kosher Options:

1. Kosher Yogurt Starter Traditional Flavor from Cultures for Health: This is the first company that I have seen that offers Kosher yogurt starters. This yogurt starter is tangy with a texture similar to grocery store yogurt contains Streptococcus thermophilus, Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus, Lactobacillus acidophilu and Bifidobacterium lactis.

2. Kosher Yogurt Starter Mild Flavor from Cultures for Health: Mild flavor with a thick consistency contains Streptococcus thermophilus, Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus, Lactobacillus acidophilu and Bifidobacterium lactis.

There are also some dairy free options available for people who lactose intolerant. Dairy Connection sells a vegetal dairy-free yogurt culture that has a mild flavor and smooth texture that can be made with soy or rice milk. The culture contains Bifidobacterium bifidum , Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp bulgaricus, Lactobacillus rhamnosus, Streptococcus thermophiles, and Rice maltodextrin. Cultures for Health has also started carring a vegan yogurt starter culture with a mild flavor and smooth texture contains Bifidobacterium bifidum, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp bulgaricus, Lactobacillus rhamnosus, Streptococcus thermophilus. To make dairy free yogurt, follow the same procedure outlined in the rest of this post substituting your dairy free culture for the yogurt culture and rice or soy milk in place of dairy milk.

The concept of making yogurt is simple just heat the milk to 185⁰F to kill any other competing bacteria in your milk, add the Lactobacillus bulgaricus, Lactobacillus acidophilus, and Streptococcus thermophiles (and possibly other bacteria depending upon your started culture) and hold the temperature at 110⁰F for 6 to 8 hours. This sounds simple enough.

1. Heat the milk to 185⁰F in a double boiler or in a heat proof bowl that snugly fits on top of pot of simmering water.

2. Remove the milk from the heat and let it cool to 105⁰-122⁰F. Placing your culture in milk that is too hot will kill the culture and milk that is too cool will not allow the reaction to occur.

3. Stir in the culture and place the yogurt into a glass container that has a tight fitting lid (I use pyrex dishes but I know others who use baby food jars). For store bought yogurt or homemade yogurt add ½ cup yogurt per 1 gallon of milk. If you are using cultures purchased from a cheese making supplier then follow the package instructions.

4. Incubate the yogurt for 6-8 hours.

However, holding a constant temperature in a kitchen without an incubator can be a challenge. Richard Helweg gives several ideas on how to hold yogurt temperature steady in the book,The Complete Guide to Making Cheese, Butter, and Yogurt at Home: Everything You Need to Know Explained Simply. He recommends:

“1. If you have a slow cooker with a “warm” setting, you can fill it with water and set your jars of yogurt in a slow cooker. Be sure to keep a close eye on the temperature of the water.

2. You can fill a cooler with water and place your jars or yogurt in the water at the preferred temperature. Make sure the cooler stays closed for the required time to incubate. You can provide additional insulation by placing a towel over the cooler.

3. You can wrap the jars in a personal heating pad. Again, check the temperature of the pad to make sure it does not get too hot.

4. You can pour yogurt into a thermos. The best kind of thermos for this operation is one with a wide mouth; a small mouthed thermos can be problematic when it comes to removing thickened yogurt.

5. Preheat your oven to 150⁰ or its lowest possible setting, then turn it off. Use an oven thermometer to monitor its temperature. Place your yogurt in the oven after it has reached 120⁰. You can turn your oven on and off to keep it at the ideal temperature. Watch it closely.

6. If you have a home appliance that runs hot or produces a good deal of heat, you can wrap your jar in a towel and place it on the appliance. People have been known to incubate their yogurt on televisions, personal computers, and audio equipment. This works, but it is not recommended.

7. If you live in a warm climate, you can simply wrap your jar of yogurt in a towel and put it in a warm part of the house.” pp94-5

The trick is to keep the temperature of your yogurt between 98⁰ and 130⁰F. I have tried the crockpot method written above, but my “warm” setting was too hot. My solution was to turn the crockpot on low for 15 minutes. Then I turn the crockpot off and wrap in a towel and place it in a warm oven (preheated the oven to the lowest setting then turned it off and let it cool for 10 minutes before placing the yogurt in the oven). This method seems to give me the best results. You will have to play with the settings in your own home to come up with a solution that works best for you.

To stop the reaction, place your yogurt in the refrigerator. You can now flavor your yogurt with anything that you want. I like to add fruit and honey or fruit and maple syrup to mine. To make a Greek yogurt:


1. Line a mesh strainer with a double layer of cheese cloth.

2. Place the fresh yogurt in the strainer over a bowl.

3. Place the strainer and yogurt in the refrigerator for 8-12 hours.

4. Remove the yogurt from the cheese cloth and place in clean bowls and cover until ready to use. The whey can be used in bread recipes in place of water.

If your yogurt does not turn out correctly or tastes bad, thenRichard Helweg gives the following troubleshooting tips:

“If your yogurt is too thin after six to eight hours of incubation:

You may have allowed your milk to cool too much before you added your starter. Try to add starter when the milk temperature is between 105⁰ and 120⁰.

You may not have kept your yogurt warm enough during the six to eight-hour incubation period. Remember, yogurt will not ripen at temperatures below 98⁰.

If you used farm-fresh milk, there may have been antibiotics present in the milk that killed the starter. If you use farm-fresh milk, let it sit in your refrigerator for at least 48 hours before you use it to make yogurt.

You may have used a weak starter. If you use yogurt as a starter, make sure it is as fresh as possible. If you use store-bought yogurt, check the expiration date. Also, it is good to date the yogurt you make and keep in your refrigerator so you know that you are using the freshest possible starter.

You may not have properly rinsed your equipment before making yogurt. Detergent can have an ill effect on the starter, not to mention give it is a bad taste.

If you have cultured yogurt after the six- to eight-hour incubation period:

You may have heated the milk too high before adding your starter.

Your milk may have been too hot when you added your starter.

If your yogurt has a bad taste:

You may have scorched the milk while heating it. If you do not use a double boiler, be sure that you constantly stir the milk and monitor its temperature.

The jars or containers that you incubate your yogurt in may not have been clean. It is vital that everything is clean and free of detergent.

You may have allowed your yogurt to incubator too long. The long incubation period will give your yogurt a tart flavor. Six to eight hours is usually a long enough period to incubate yogurt.

Your milk, milk powder, or starter may have been spoiled. Make sure everything you use is fresh.” p 96

Now that you have homemade yogurt you can use it marinade chicken, make cheesecake, top it on chili, or eat it as a snack. The Balkans claim that many of their people live to be over 100 due to a diet based largely on yogurt (Toussaint-Samat, 2009, p108). Perhaps it is time that you took up this healthy food.

Helweg, R. (2010). The Complete Guide to Making Cheese, Butter, and Yogurt at Home: Everything You Need to Know Explained Simply. Olcala, FL: Atlantic Publishing Group, Inc.

Toussaint-Samat, M. (2009). A History of Food. United Kingdom: Blackwell Publisher.

Click here to make yogurt at home

This post was submitted to Simple Lives Thursday.
Note: I do get a very small commission if you buy from Cultures for Health. I signed up to be a promoter of thier products because I love the breath of their products, and their quality.

24 comments:

  1. You are doing this to reduce the costs of organic yogurt, so may I assume that you are using organic milk for this purpose?
    Do you find the milk to be cheaper then buying the yogurt (comparing the cost of 1L)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all this valuable information. I'll try it. That's all I can say. I'll try it and see what happens. I won't know until I do it, right? I appreciate your information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sweet! thanks for sharing, I love yogurt but it is expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had tried to make yogurt but I failed. I think may be it caused by the temperature when I heat the milk. I'll try again and follow your tips. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tom, I am sorry that your yogurt did not turn out. Making yogurt can take a few tries before you get the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "you can take your homemade yogurt and keep making new yogurt from the supply that you already have so there is no need to keep buying new cultures."

    Everything else I've read says to use store bought yogurt as a starter every two batches or so. Now I don't know what to believe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous, in a microbiology lab we routinely grow bacteria for several generations before we get a new starter culture. Some types of bacteria can go through 50 generations before we go back to the seed culture. High quality store bought yogurt should be able to be cultured for several generations before getting a new culture. I have cultured organic store bought yogurt for at least 20 generations with no problems before I scrapped it to buy some commercial seed cultures to try some new flavors and textures. If you are concerned about the number of times that a store bought yogurt has already been cultured, then I suggest buying a seed culture from Cultures for Health or New England Cheese Company.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's very interesting. Thank you for that information; I'm going to look into this seed culture.
    Ho would an average schmo like me know if the culture being used is still rich in bacteria?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous, you may notice that your yogurt seed culture is getting old if the yogurt seems lackluster compared to previous attempts. Your yogurt may get thinner or not as rich tasting. If your culture is outright dead (this can happen if you heat the culture too hot,) then your yogurt will never form. Good luck with making yogurt! Please update me if you choose to make yogurt, I love hearing what people think of my recipes. Also, I am here to answer any more questions that you may have about making yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you. Despite the Internet's far reaching fingers, it's very difficult to find quality resources and I appreciate your input. After looking into what you've said, I think I'm going to give yogurt making another whirl.
    Back in August, I bought a Euro Cuisine Yogurt Maker. I made two batches and they came out delicious, but I figured if I have to keep buying yogurt to do this, it's kind of just a bother. Especially since finding a single serve cup of whole plain yogurt is becoming nearly impossible, so I'd still end up buying a full thing of yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. JoeMac, good luck your yogurt making attempts. You can freeze any leftover yogurt that you make or buy. Some bacteria will die after you freeze the yogurt and rethaw it, but it is common in labs to make a large stock of bacteria and freeze the stock in small batches in a freezer to save for later use.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nirvana,
    I've been making yogurt for years now, but am thinking about trying some different starter cultures.

    I've been using plain store bought yogurt, it works just fine. Yogurt always turns out, I think too many people make too big of a deal out of it. The tool that is INDESPENDIBLE for me is a wireless digital thermometer.

    1) Heat milk to 185.
    2) Cool to 110.
    3) Add starter.
    4) Keep at 110 for 7 or 8 hours... whatever you like.

    One time it didn't set, my starter was wayyyyy old/bad. So I just added some fresh starter culture to the same milk and it turned out great. I wasn't going to waste a gallon of milk if I didn't have to.

    OK... so here is my question: Was looking at Cultures for Health Bulgarian starter, but for 1/4 teaspoon, it's like $17 delivered.

    They say "this yogurt culture can be used to make homemade yogurt indefinitely" but an even greater question is in a blind taste test, is this worth $17?

    OK... so if it tastes different, is the difference between my current home made yogurt using plain yogurt as culture and a fancy named, expensive starter a difference like that between a used entry level car and a mint Mercedes? or is it going to to be a 50/50 split at the opinion table?

    I'm wondering about blending different store bought cultures with different starter bacteria.

    I'm not against spending the money, but there needs to be a clear value for doing so, not just an image thing in order to brag.

    So what is your experience with these cultures? value-wise?

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. SuMan, I started out the same way that you did. I just used store bought yogurt, and I was happy with my results; then I got into cheese making and on a whim I bought a yogurt starter because I already had to pay shipping so I thought, why not? After using a starter culture I do not think that I will ever go back to store bought. I found my results to be more consistent with the starter culture. I liked the thickness (no extra filter to get "Greek" yogurt or adding nonfat dried milk as a thickener). I found the starter culture to be sweeter than the store bought culture that I bought. I could eat this yogurt straight with out adding a little honey or fruit to sweeten it up a bit. For me, the starter culture was like eating Mercedes yogurt over an entry level car. After I made my first batch I froze half of the yogurt just in case something happened to my culture I could go back to the freezer stock and not have to pay $17 again (like you I am frugal but will pay for quality). I definetely think that a starter culture is worth the money. If you buy a starter culture, let me know what you think. I love hearing what other people thought of different starter cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, I could not have asked for a better response.

    The response is excellent because it comes from a person who has actually done this, tested with different cultures, and now shares the experience... with the notation of your perception of quality and value... not just saying it to sound cool :)

    Now comes the question of which culture. So far, my deduction process has led to some personal conclusions:

    1) Although Dairy Connection has some interesting looking cultures (e.g. ABY-611) they are direct-set and can only be re-used once or twice. (-)

    2) When I make yogurt, I'm using a gallon of milk at a time, I don't have the time or desire to fiddle with small batches. Hence, I'm looking for one great quality culture to start with. I've done the straining trick to get Greek-style and it turned out well, but I also use a lot as frozen treats and the bulk for breakfast cereal and cooking. Hence... I'm not going to order two or three cultures right now and then try to keep them separate and active.

    3) For an all-purpose, high-quality yogurt, I'm leaning towards a Thermophilic starter and not a Mesophilic one. Part of that is because I've had great results with and see no reason to stop using my Excalibur food dehydrator (minus the trays!) to get and hold the 110°F. Plus it seems Thermophilic cultures are more main-stream, therefore the resulting yogurt may be more versatile.

    4) Right now, Cultures for Health has the Bulgarian starter which is what I'm leaning towards. What do you use? Have you tried the C4H Bulgarian? or what C4H do you prefer?

    5) Oh... the wireless thermometre that is invaluable and quite possibly the best US$30 cooking tool around? A Maverick ET-71OS Remote w/ LCD Transmitter Box. I'm sure there are better, I know there are worse... but IMHO, this is gold and I would absolutely be lost without it!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. SunMan, thank you for the reccomendation for the thermometer. A good thermometer is an essential kitchen tool. I have not tried any cultures from Dairy Culture. I agree that they have some interesting looking cultures but like you I was only interested in cultures that could be used multiple times. I inlcuded them in this blog post for others that might be interested in their cultures. I love the Bulgarian starter culture from Cultures for Health. I love the creaminess of the yogurt. I especially love that culture for breakfast dishes as well. Both my kids enjoy that yogurt culture. I have also used the tangy yogurt starter from New England Cheesemaking which I like for marinades. I freeze most of that yogurt and only pull it out of my freezer when I want to make more or when I want to use it in a marinade since I do not use it daily. If I had to choose one yogurt starter to buy it would be the Bulgarian starter culture from Cultures for Health. I like the thickness of the yogurt, and I love that is creamy. I have made that yogurt into frozen yogurt in my ice cream maker with a lot of good results.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very good.

    I see the New England Cheesemaking Y4 tangy DS Yogurt must be a "Direct Set" with that "DS" designation. Those are usually not able to reuse more than a couple/few times.

    How many times have you reused the Y4 Tangy culture?

    Finally... am wondering if you or anybody has tested the difference between the New England Cheesemaking Bulgarian and the Cultures for Health Bulgarian starters?

    There is a large difference in price, but am wondering if there is any discernible difference in quality, taste or reusability?

    Oh yeah... and ANYBODY considering that Maverick Thermometer... I have bought numerous ones for gifts, they are a hit!

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. SunMan, I have used the Tangy yogurt from New England Cheesemaking company probably 4 times with no problems. The order comes with 5 packets of culture, and I am still on my first one. The first time I made it I froze half in 2 tbsp blocks to reculture later.

    I have used the Bulgarian starter culture from both New England Cheesemaking Company and from Cultures from Health. I perfered the one from Cultures for Health better because it was creamier and a bit sweeter (I perfer sweeter cultures for daily use and fresh eating). I have never had yogurt in Bulgaria so I can not comment on if the yogurt tastes "authentic." Also, I found that the Cultures for Health seed culture made a better frozen yogurt than the starter culture from New England Cheesemaking Company. I believe both companies only send you 1 starter culture packet for the Bulgarian starter culture.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Perfect!
    That is what I wanted to know... and although I clearly understand much of this is subjective, I'll still travel on the side of a yogurt aficionado with real-time experience.

    It's Cultures4Health Bulgarian starter for me.

    Thank you for your help and advice... when I get some experience with this going on, will check back in and post my thoughts/experience.

    Best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mid-year update: I went with the Cultures for Health Bulgarian.
    There was a problem with the first package I got, so they sent me a second package.
    *** *** ***
    Let me be VERY clear - their customer service IS OUTSTANDING.
    *** *** ***

    However, I'm done with their Bulgarian starter. No more. Even though there were problems with the first package, I was able to get it going. I use VERY precise temperature controls (digital thermometres that have been calibrated) but it was tough to get going. However... It did start. The first batch of 1.5 cups of milk with 1/8 teaspoon culture just looked VERY different from that I was used to.

    After I got it going, I would make 1/2 gallon at a time, every two weeks and it worked great.

    However... I went on vacation in April and was going to miss my two week timeline, so decided to freeze my held back starter. The held-back starter at that time was not fresh, and I didn't get to it right away when I got back.

    And it failed.
    So I decided to take a break... just was not enthused about getting back into that routine and honestly... was not looking forward to the hassles I had the first time.

    Well... yesterday I was READY to get back into yogurt making with the Cultures for Health product. Pulled out the last 1/2 teaspoon from the first purchased back in January 2012. I had it stored in the freezer.

    It failed.
    So then I tried another batch using the second box sent from Cultures For Health... and decided to use the entire 1/4 teaspoon in 1.5 cups of milk.

    Failed again.
    I'm done with this.
    Don't get me wrong... I make mistakes EVERY day... but I am not an idiot either. I've made countless GALLONS of home made yogurt over the years.
    This is expensive. The amount of culture starter is INCREDIBLY small, and it's obviously got some very narrow tolerences.

    Here is the kicker. When I got my first batches of Cultures For Health product going... I decided to taste test it versus a batch using store-bought plain yogurt at starter.

    The winner? Tie at best, but out of 4 different people tested... 2 or 3 said "no preference" between the two.

    So thanks for your great customer service Cultures For Health... and good luck making money with something that is expensive, very particular, and in my taste-tests... offers no outstanding taste benefits.

    clinton

    ReplyDelete
  20. Clinton, I am sorry that you did not like your Bulgarian yogurt culture. :( Unfortunately, yogurt like some bacterial cultures is very picky about temperatures and conditions. After you freeze yogurt you do lose some of the bacteria during the freeze thaw process (I have used this in my lab to get rid of some unwanted contamination as some bacteria are very sensitive to freeze-thaw), but yogurt cultures will not completely die during a freeze thaw (at least in my experience), so you should be able to restart your culture. Perhaps making yogurt at home is not for you, or perhaps another culture would be a good option for you. Everything has a cost, and in this situation it sounds like the cost of making the Bulgarian yogurt out weighs the benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Creating Nirvana - Perhaps making yogurt at home is not for you" - That comment makes me ask two questions:
    1) Did you read what I wrote? I've made DOZENS of gallons home made yogurt.
    2) Do you work for Cultures for Health?

    I'm not trying to be snarky, but my methods were precise regarding temperatures and conditions. I laid out where I believe I made the mistakes. (Please read the previous sentence again... "where I made the mistakes").

    I also outlined my disappointment with their product incredibly tiny amount of starter and the fact a new package of $15 starter for 1/4 teaspoon was no good after approximately 6 months in the freezer.

    I know how to make yogurt.

    That obviously did not extend into long term productivity with their product... and for the approximately 4 months I was using their starter, it did not win any blind taste tests when compared to using regular old store purchased plain yogurt as starter.

    "Everything has a cost, and in this situation it sounds like the cost of making the Bulgarian yogurt out weighs the benefits." - What is true here is that you are missing the point and clearly sound like you have a personal or undisclosed interest in Cultures for Health. The points you are missing is the condescending tone indicating that I or your readers do not understand that everything has a cost. It also misses the point about the yogurt. The costs of the Cultures for Health product clearly outweigh any potential benefits.

    Believe me... I love home made yogurt. I understand the benefits. That is why in the past I have made dozens of gallons of it. I also clearly understand the costs of time to respond to your ridiculous post. Fortunately I've got a 'production kitchen' area set up to make the process time efficient.

    I've also found more complete information on other blogs which discussed the specific cultures in many varieties of store bought yogurt and which one(s) actually can be re-used an indefinite number of times. And yes, it even has "L. bulgaricus".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not work for Cultures for Health. I own a biotechnology company that is not related to yogurt cultures. I do get a very small commission off of sales for some of their products. I apologize if I have offended you. If you are not happy with the product, then do not use it. You are not going to fall in love with every yogurt culture that you try.

      Delete
  22. Thank you.
    I have found another culture. It's not as fault intolerant and tastes just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabulous! What culture are you using now? I would love to hear your recommendation.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails