Thursday, April 7, 2011

Baked Sesame Chicken

I am not a big a fan of Chinese takeout because it is so greasy, but every now and then I want a good sesame chicken. However, I don’t want to fry the chicken because frying is so messy and makes foods greasy, so I decided that I am going to try and make a baked sesame chicken. I found a recipe on allrecipes that had fabulous reviews and decided that I am going to give it a whirl and instead of frying the sesame chicken I am going to bake the sesame chicken. When I first tried the baked sesame chicken, I made the breading along with the sauce, but I found that the breading added an unnecessary step to the baked sesame chicken because it didn’t actually stay on the chicken. Instead it just floated to the top. I even tried baking the chicken for 10 minutes with the just the breading and then adding the sauce, but again the breading floated, so now I just leave the breading off for a healthier version of this sesame chicken. I also left off the chicken broth because I wanted a nice thick sauce covering my baked sesame chicken which worked wonderfully.

When you prepare the sauce it will be an ugly brown, but it does turn into a nice glossy amber colored sauce that does not look repulsive on the plate and tastes a little spicy and sweet. Since this is cleaning out the kitchen month in April, I did not buy any chili paste because I did not have any instead I used crushed red pepper flakes for my spiciness which I think worked just fine in the dish. I also changed around the spices in the dish. I added mirin to the sauce and substituted rice vinegar for distilled white vinegar in the sauce. Both kids liked the baked sesame chicken despite Dr. Lazy Palate proclaiming that the baked sesame chicken smelled awful. He has informed me that he prefers his chemical laden Chinese takeout. I liked the dish. The baked sesame chicken satisfied my craving for cheap Chinese takeout, and I didn’t have to go grocery shopping in order to make the dish.


Ingredients (serves 6) modified from allrecipes

3/4 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons low sodium dark soy sauce
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tsp mirin (rice wine)
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup water
2 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast meat - cubed
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds

Directions

1. Preheat an oven to 375⁰F.

2. Mix the sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, mirin, pepper flakes and garlic together in a bowl.

3. In another bowl, mix the cornstarch and water together. While stirring the first mixture, slowly add the cornstarch solution to the first mixture.

4. Place the chicken in an oven safe baking dish and pour the sauce on top of the chicken.

5. Bake the chicken for 45-50 minutes or until the baked chicken is cooked all the way through. When the chicken is cut, the juices from the chicken should run clear.

6. Serve the baked chicken over a bed of rice and sprinkle with sesame seeds on top.

Posted on full plate Thursday, Easy Recipe on Life as Mom, Recipe Swap Thursday #32, Simple Lives Thursday, Catch and Glimse #32, It's a Keeper Thursday., Saturday Swap, Potluck Sunday

5 comments:

  1. That looks great! I love sesame chicken but always feel like it is so bad for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to try this. I love chicken and this sounds like a super interesting recipe to me. Thanks for sharing :-)

    Cheers from dutch cooking

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks AMAZING! I am going to try this next week!
    http://www.jujujourney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Sesame Chicken looks so delicious and is full of wonderful flavor. I really like that it can be baked, it is a great recipe. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm..this looks GREAT! And I love that it's baked and not coated in oil! Great, great job:)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails