Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Canning Chocolate Strawberry Suace

Every year I go on a quest to find new and interesting canning recipes to keep our pantry stocked full of well preserved produce. This year I was browsing Ball's web-site for some new inspiration. When I found a recipe for chocolate raspberry sundae topper, I knew that this recipe was going to be awesome, but I did not want to wait until raspberry season to try out this gem. Patience has never been my strong suite, so I decided to substitute strawberries for raspberries in this delicious recipe.

This sauce was so good that Dr. Lazy Palate was licking the pot clean after we put the sauce in jars. This sauce would be good on top of cheese cake or as a quick cake filler in between layers. It is sweet, chocolaty, and has an intense strawberry taste. We might find ourselves reheating a jar of this sauce in the middle of next winter for a quick fondue dessert.

From a canning perspective this sauce is very easy to make. I used my immersion blender to "crush" the strawberries after the hulls were removed making this an easy chopping recipe. The jars are filled with just a 1/4" headspace and a fast boil in the water bath with only 10 minutes makes this canning recipe really fast. You can easily get this recipe completed from start to finish in under and hour. The original recipe says that it makes 6 half pint jars, but I came up with 8 half pint jars when I made the recipe. Perhaps the strawberry substitution caused the increased number of jars. Either way I am not complaining because this sauce is fantastic.



Ingredients (makes 6-8 half pint jars) modified from Ball's web-site

1/2 cup sifted unsweetened cocoa powder
6 tbsp powdered pectin
4 1/2 cups crushed strawberries
6 3/4 cups granulated sugar
4 tbsp lemon juice

Directions

1. Boil water in boiling water bath. Simmer the lids in a small sauce pot with water. Do not boil the lids. Heat the jars in simmering water or wash them in the dishwasher with the heated dry on. Either way the jars need to be hot. Set the bands aside for later use.

2. Mix the cocoa powder and pectin in a small bowl and set aside.

3. Mix the strawberries and lemon juice together in a sauce pot. Add the pectin mixture to the strawberry mixture while whisking the entire time. Heat the mixture until boiling. Stir frequently. Quickly add the sugar to the mixture and bring back to a boil while stirring frequently. Boil hard for 1 minute. Take the mixture off the heat and remove and bubbles.

4. Ladle the strawberry mixture into the hot sterile jars. Leave a 1/4" headspace. Place the lid on the jar. Screw the band onto the jar until fingertip tight.

5. Process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes. Remove the jars from the canner and allow them to cool completely for 24 hours. After 24 hours, check the seal. You should not be able to move the lid up and down when you press on the center. If you can move the lid up and down, then reprocess for another 10 minutes. If the jars are good, then label the jars and put them away.

Posted on What ever goes Wednesday, What's Cooking Wednesday, Penny Pinching Party, Full Plate Thursday, Sweet Tooth Friday, Frugal Friday,,

8 comments:

  1. That looks so yummy! Now I just need a canner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. any big pot can be used as a canner. just need to improvise a rack so the jars arent sitting on the bottom of the pan. For instance, use extra jar rings along the bottom to raise them up. I have used a big stock pot. Or also Ball has what they call the "Discovery Kit" that you can use and process three pints with that in a big pot.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness I can just taste this over a bowl of homemade ice cream, yummy! A great idea for gift giving. I really enjoy your canning recipes. I canned my first for the season yesterday, it was so much fun. Thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum! Chocolate and strawberries are two of my favorite things.

    Thank you so much for linking up with Sweet Tooth Friday! I hope to see you again this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect combination, seems like a whole big pile of sugar though. Wonder if honey could be used instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honey can be used instead, but the consistency of the sauce might change. I think I am going to experiment with this idea this year. Thank you for the comment.

      Delete
  5. So I do not have a canner and was wanting to make these to give out as favors at my wedding? Do you think I could just not put them in a canner if I made sure and made it all like a week or 2 before my reception? Thanks so much this recipe looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can make this a week before your wedding. I would store them in the refrigerator and place a note on the jar that the chocolate strawberry sauce is not shelf stable in case someone takes it home and puts it in their pantry. A boiling water canner is simply a large pot of boiling water with a rack on the bottom. The rack can be a physical rack that comes with your pot or it can be a bamboo placemat. You can run the jars through a dishwasher right before canning to make them sterile. Then you put the lids in a pot of simmering water. Fill your jars leaving the headspace and place the lid on top. Screw on the second part of the lid, then place the jars in a pot of boiling water (the water needs to come over the jars) for the processing time. You can make these shelf stable with a small investment. I have seen pots large enough at WalMart that come with a rack for less than $20. Annie Eats has an excellent tutorial on begining canning.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails