Friday, June 24, 2011

Buttermilk Chocolate Cookies with Chocolate Chips

I made a quart of homemade buttermilk the other day, and I ended having some leftover buttermilk, so I decided to do a quick internet search for buttermilk cookies. I came across a fantastic looking buttermilk chocolate chip cookie recipe that I knew I had to try. I have been searching for an excellent chocolate cookie recipe with chocolate chips. Most chocolate chip cookie recipes are all right in my opinion. They seem to be nothing spectacular. My family never complains if I make a chocolate cookie recipe, but they still prefer chocolate chip cookies.


However, these chocolate cookies with chocolate chips were different. Everyone in the house raved about them. The buttermilk chocolate cookies are soft but not cake like. They are rich and chocolaty. I found them to be the perfect chocolate cookie with chocolate chips. I am convinced that the secret lies in the buttermilk. They help make the cookie perfect. I will definitely be making these cookies again. Since I still have some leftover buttermilk, I think I am going to make another batch and roll the dough into a tube and wrap in plastic wrap and place it in my freezer. Then, when my family wants cookies again, all I have to do is unwrap the cookie tube and cut the cookies onto a cookie sheet.

I got the recipe from baking bites. At first I followed the directions exactly as written, but the dough was not coming together. I even double checked to make sure that I wrote down the recipe correctly. I did indeed write down the recipe correctly, so why was my dough not coming together correctly? I think the original recipe is missing eggs. Eggs help bind things, and my cookie dough was not binding together at all. I modified the recipe and added two eggs. At this point, the dough was much easier to work with. The dough is a bit sticky for a cookie recipe, so I placed the dough in the refrigerator for 3 hours to help firm it up. Some of the stickiness was also due to the humidity that we have been having over the past month. It has rained here a lot, so my house is very humid causing anything I bake to absorb moisture in the air. Despite the sticky cookie dough, these cookies were amazing. I used a cookie scoop to place the cookies on a cookie sheet, and the chocolate cookies with chocolate chips spread nicely. When you first take the cookies out of the oven, you might notice that they are very puffy and look very cake like, but don’t worry they will deflate a little and become a delicious soft cookie that is not cake like. The recipe made exactly four dozen cookies when I placed 1 inch size dough balls on the cookies sheet.


Ingredients (makes 4 dozen cookies) modified from Baking Bites

2 cups all purpose flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ cup butter, room temperature
¾ cup cocoa powder
2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
2 cups chocolate chips

Directions

1. In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, and salt.

2. In another large bowl, combine the butter and cocoa powder. Mix well. Add the sugar, vanilla, eggs, and buttermilk while stirring (I used a small electric mixer).

3. Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture. Stir using a spatula at first to gently combine the ingredients, and then mix with an electric mixer to make sure the dough is well combined. Add the chocolate chips and mix well.

4. Place the cookie dough in the refrigerator for 3 hours.

5. Preheat the oven to 350⁰F and grease a cookie sheet or line with parchment paper.

6. Make 1 inch cookie dough balls, and place them on the cookie sheet (I used a cookie scoop). Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies smell done.

7. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to completely cool. The cookies can be stored in an air tight container for 1 week, or they can be frozen to be enjoyed later.

Posted on Sweet Tooth Friday, Hodgepodge Friday, Fun with Food, Friday Flair,  

9 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to bake these cookies, just need to grab some buttermilk. Wish I could get some homemade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I was recently introduced to the joys of buttermilk in my cooking and love the flavor it adds! These look delish - can't wait to try them! I've linked over from the WhipperBerry Friday Flair where I've linked up too, I'd love it if you'd pop on over.
    Hugs, antonella :-)
    http://quilling.blogspot.com/2011/06/wondrous-wednesday-patriotic-printable.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I followed your link from baking bites after questioning the lack of egg in the recipe as well. Also, I'm a fan of creaming butter and sugar together rather than using melted butter in cookie recipes. I'll be making a take of your version of this recipe. Thanks for confirming for me that my questioning was founded. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When do you add the eggs?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous, I added the eggs in step 2. I corrected the error. Thank you for making Creating Nirvana better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just made these and they are quite delicious! I used peant butter chips since that was all I had. Also, I thought 2 cups of sugar was a bit much so I decreased the amount by 1/2 a cup. Will definitely make these again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous, thank you for the wonderful comment. I am glad that you enjoyed the cookies! Decreasing the amout of sugar sounds like an excellent idea and peanut butter chips with chocolate sounds great too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazingly easy and really looks delicious. I'm definitely craving for a plate of that right now. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. This is definitely a must do recipe this weekend since I got my Food Safety Course.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made these last night and they are wonderful! I added white chocolate chips and a half cup of milk chocolate chips. Plus....I threw in a bag of dried cranberries! Soooo good. I will be keeping this recipe. My Mom taught me, years ago, to cook with buttermilk. It adds so much flavor. : )

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails