Thursday, June 30, 2011

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Key Lime Muffins

I have been frustrated with many muffin recipes in the past because I like my muffins to have that perfect dome shape on top and not the flat running over the edge of the muffin compartment look. Then, I remembered that buttermilk muffins always have that perfect look that I was seeking, so I played around with using buttermilk as my liquid in muffins. I also increased the amount of flour that I generally use in muffins from 2 cups to 2 ½ cups to give the muffins a lot of lift. I have also grown accustomed to substituting applesauce for the oil to make them healthier.

When zesting the key lime, use a micro plate zester. When I took a cooking class this winter, my only quest when entering the class was to figure out how to zest without getting any of the white part of the peel into the zest. As it turns out I had good technique, I would gently zest the lime and turn it as I am zesting to ensure a nice even zesting, but I was using the wrong tool. According to the chef who was teaching the class most zesters that have holes in it were not sharp enough to do the job well causing you to press hard of the fruit. You can see in this Gordon Ramsay video his awesome technique. The only difference is that the chef that I worked with suggested using a zester like this:

Microplane 40020 Grater/Zester


Since I have started using a micro plate zester I have had no problems zesting. My zest is not bitter because the white part of the peel is gone. In these muffins, the key lime zest is essential to get the nice subtle key lime flavor that makes these muffins delicious.

I used fresh homemade buttermilk which is thicker than store bought buttermilk, so I ended up about 1 more tablespoon of buttermilk than I called for in this recipe, so you may find that you need to add more buttermilk to your muffins if your buttermilk is thick like mine. The other trick to these muffins is to make sure that the baking soda is fresh since it is essential to help achieve the pretty dome shape.


Ingredients (makes 12 muffins) from my own kitchen

2 ½ cups whole wheat flour
¾ cup brown sugar, divided
2 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
Zest from 1 pound of key limes
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Pulp from 1 pound of key limes
¾ cup buttermilk, plus more if needed
2/3 cup applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions

1. Preheat an oven to 350⁰F. Line the muffins with cupcake liners.

2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, ½ cup brown sugar, baking soda, salt, and zest from key limes.

3. In a second bowl, combine the egg, pulp, buttermilk, applesauce, and vanilla. Stir well.

4. While stirring, add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. I stir with a spatula. An electric mixer is not necessary for this recipe if you make sure to stir well.

5. Add more buttermilk if necessary to make a smooth mixture that resembles a thick pancake batter.

6. Ladle the batter into the cupcake liners. Fill each compartment to 1/8 inch from the top.

7. Sprinkle the rest of the brown sugar on top to give the muffins a nice light crust on top.

8. Bake the muffins for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

9. Allow the muffins to cool a few minutes in the hot pan before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

10. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Posted on Full Plate Thursday, Life as Mom, Strut Your Stuff, House of Hempworths, Prarie Story, Simple Lives Thursday, Catch a Glimpse, It's A Keeper

7 comments:

  1. These looks like a winner to me! They'll be on my friday favorite finds post tomorrow, and I can't wait to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like they'll go up next Friday... the 8th, if that's okay with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look delicious! Thanks for linking up to this week's Catch a Glimpse party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about the shape of the muffin. This looks like a great muffin and the recipe looks awesome! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and come back soon. Have a great week end!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, I love lime. I'm a huge Gordon Ramsay fan, too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any tips on getting the pulp out of the key lime? I managed, but I'm surely hoping there's a better way out there so that I can make them again without investing an hour in prep!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amber, to get the pulp out of the limes I first roll the limes on the counter to losen up the juice in the limes. Then, I zest them. Next, I cut them in half and remove the seeds. Finally I scoop out the pulp using a grapefruit spoon. The spoon has little serrated edges on it to help you get the pulp out of citruis.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails