Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Pressure Canning Black Bean and Corn Salsa



With our plethora of corn this year I decided to take a small amount of corn and make some black bean and corn salsa to pressure can. I was excited about doing this because I did not need to add tons of vinegar to basically pickle the vegetables like I do in regular salsa since the corn and beans were already low acid. I was hoping to find a good recipe on-line, but instead I found a lot of black bean and corn salsa recipes where bloggers were boiling water canning black bean and corn salsa which is dangerous because this salsa does not have enough justify boiling water canning.



The general rule for pressure canning mixed items such as this salsa is that you have to pressure can the entire jar for the item that takes the most pressure and the longest amount of time to pressure can. So in this case corn in pint jars takes 10 pounds of pressure for 55 minutes while black beans need 10 pounds of pressure for 1 hour and 15 minutes (the other ingredients in this recipe also call for 10 pounds of pressure at much less time than the corn and beans). This means that a can of black bean and corn salsa needs to be pressure canned for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 10 pounds of pressure. Following this simple rule allows you to really got nuts creating unique pressure canning recipes. I was able to come up with a slightly spicy black bean and corn salsa that I adore eating with chips. I followed Ball’s suggestion on how long to cook the black beans which left my beans a little harder than I liked fresh, but after pressure canning the beans had a perfect texture. If you want to enjoy this recipe fresh, then cook your black beans a little longer so they are more tender.


Ingredients from my own kitchen makes approximately 12 pints jars

1 pound dried black beans
8 cups corn
2 cups tomatoes, chopped (I used a combination of red, yellow, and orange tomatoes)
2 onions
6 bell peppers, chopped and seeds removed
3 hot peppers, chopped seeds removed
2 tbsp red pepper flakes
1 cup cilantro chopped
1 tbsp cumin
¼ cup lime juice

Directions

1. Soak the beans overnight in warm water. On the next day drain and sort the beans.

2. Add the beans to a large stockpot. Fill the pot with water to cover the beans by two inches of water. Boil the beans 30 minutes while stirring frequently.

3. Drain the beans again. Place the beans back in the stock pot along with the corn, tomatoes, onions, peppers, red pepper flakes, cilantro, cumin, and lime juice. Fill the pot with water until the water level is one inch above the vegetable level. Bring the vegetables to a boil while stirring frequently. Boil for 10 minutes or until the onions turn translucent.

4. Ladle the hot vegetables and beans into pint jars. Add brine to the jar to completely cover the vegetables. Leave a 1” headspace. Add the lids and adjust the two piece caps.

5. Process the jars in a pressure canner at 10 pounds of pressure for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Posted on Tutorial Tuesday, Delectable Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, These Chicks Cook, Gooseberry Patch, Whatever Goes Wednesday, What's Cooking Wednesday, Penny Pinching Party

35 comments:

  1. Great sounding recipe! Love all types of salsa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. could i use canned black beans instead?

      Delete
    2. I have never used canned beans when canning. From the research that I have done canned beans turn to mush when pressure canned because they have already been fully cooked, so I am going to reccomend against using canned beans.

      Delete
    3. Thanks a lot!! Can't wait to make some!

      Delete
  2. What a great recipe and I love the way the corn and beans look in your jar of Salsa. I wanted to invite you to our Canning Week Blog Party (Aug. 22-26). http://alattewithotta.blogspot.com/p/canning-week-2011.html There will be a canning linky party with a guest judge, and canning related give-a-ways. It should be a lot of fun and I hope you will stop by and link up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trisha, I used boiling water. When I serve it I drain the water out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you use peeled tomatoes? I would like to dice up some cherry tomatoes to put in here, but don't want to take the time to peel those little suckers :-) I'm looking forward to making this!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SwissMiss, I did not peel my tomatoes. Like you I did not want to peel them. I did not feel that this negatively affected the salsa in any way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. FANTASTIC!! I can't wait to can this!!!! Now I just need to find a free evening :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just dumped my salsa that looked pretty much like this BUT then I found your link!:-) I am soooooooooooo happy! TYVM! I only pressure canned my original batch last night for 55 minutes at 10 pounds. Darn! My girlfriend made a fresh uncanned salsa like this and with the corn, she put some oil on the cobs & grilled them for a little bit..It was awesome! I had already cut mine off the cob for tomorrows PROPER batch such as yours or I would have done the same as she did with the corn. Thanks so much for posting this!
    Looks great..CONGRATS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found your blog, and your instructions for pressure canning black bean and corn salsa were exactly what I was looking for. I just got a pressure canner this week, and my first attempt at boiling water canning BB&C salsa over a year ago taught me the hard way that you can't do that. Do you HAVE to top it with brine? I keep my recipe low-salt and fresh, and it's really good as-is. Does the brine add a whole lot of saltiness to it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sara, you do have to top the jar off with brine because the jar needs to be heated evenly. Leaving air in between the corn and beans would cause the jar to heat unevenly. Worst case scenario, bacteria would grow in the air bubbles. Best case scenario would be that your jars break in the pressure canner. The brine does not make the salsa salty. I am very salt sensetive and do not have a problem eating this salsa. I am glad that you are all right after boiling water canning your corn and black bean salsa last year. Good luck with a new batch this year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What's your salt/water ratio for your brine?

    The salsa never got a chance to hurt us. I pulled a jar out of the pantry, saw the bubbles and got suspicious. Of course, like most people would, I opened it up to sniff and to take that little tentative taste which pretty promptly got spit into the trash. End of that jar.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sara, I used the water and lime juice mixture that I used to boil the vegetables as the brine. Since we are pressure canning the salsa the brine does not need to be acidic, and I am not a big fan of salt so I did not add salt to this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The process is somehow similar to the Philippines "achara" a naturally preserved veggies. I have tasted it when I visited a small town during my travel.

    Blood Pressure Gauge on PulseStore

    ReplyDelete
  13. do you use canned corn or fresh off the cob?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use fresh corn. I am not sure if canned corn would hold up well because it has already been processed once. A second round of processing may leave it a pile of mush.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your help!! I am making my first batch today.

      Delete
  14. Can I use frozen corn? I do not have access to corn on the cob at this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matty,

      I have never used frozen corn for this recipe, but I have frozen fruit then canned it before successfully. The corn might end up softer than with fresh corn, but I think it should all right. If you try this recipe using frozen corn, then please tell me how it went. I would love to hear your feedback on using frozen corn.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  15. I am so excited to find this recipe, I had been searching for something like this for months when I came upon your's. I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If I wanted to add some additional seasonings such as salt and pepper, would I need to change or do anything differently? I am a novice with canning so I need all the help I can get. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can add extra salt or pepper without having to change anything else. Good luck! Canning is a lot of fun.

      Delete
  17. Can I use 1/2 lb. of dried black eyed peas along with a 1/2 lb. of black beans and still use the same 1 hr. and 15 mins. processing time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can use a combination of two different types of beans and still use the same processing time and pressure. Good luck!

      Delete
  18. I made this recipe last fall and had everything in my garden except for corn and black beans. I went and bought a #10 can of each and upped the rest of ingredants to equal the rest of the recipe. I pressure canned the jars with the time for whole tomatoes as the beans and corn were store boughten. As of 2-19-13 I have 10 pint left. The kids love it and so do I. Making more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I made this from tomatoes that I froze from the garden and frozen corn off the cob and canned black beans but I did it in water bath canner also used frozen red peppers from the garden it turned out great really thick . I use the time from tomatoes 20 minutes..

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have been pressure canning a similar recipe for 17 years. I only pressure can for 30 minutes and my beans are fully cooked. You can use frozen corn. I cut my corn off ahead of time and freeze it

    ReplyDelete
  21. Could I make this without he cilantro? Everyone in my family, including me, thinks cilantro tastes like soap...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, you can leave out the cilantro. :)

      Delete
  22. You may want to check out Vicki's Canning World on Facebook, she posted this recipe with one of your pictures 18 hours ago with no credit given to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have notified her FB page. It seems she is reposting lots of recipes with out credit. :(

      Delete
  23. This looks amazing. Since it didn't have a pinterest button, I actually printed it out. That's a big deal these days, lolz! Thank you so much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for printing out the recipe! I hope you enjoy it. I have added a pin it button now.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails