Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Sugar Free Peach Jam


I have a love hate with peaches. I love them because they taste great, but I secretly dread peach season because we can a lot of peaches for Dr. Lazy Palate’s snacks for the year and that is a lot of standing over a hot stove for me. At the end of every season I am proud of the results, and I know that Dr. Lazy Palate loves his peaches. Plus, his homemade canned peaches taste a million times better than commercially canned peaches. One of my friends told me if you ever doubt your canning efforts just go to the grocery store and buy a can of canned peaches and taste them. She says you will have renewed spirits about canning. I know she is right. I have not had to go out and buy a can of peaches to motivate myself, but I did feel like a total slacker at one point. I may have even procrastinated more than I should have, but I finally got all the peaches canned. I even got to make some other recipes with peaches this year which is exciting for me.

I decided to make some sugar free peach jam after my success with sugar free raspberry jam. I am glad that I did. The sugar free peach jam tasted great. The peach jam tasted a lot more like peaches than regular jam. I found the peach jam to be tarter than the raspberry jam which was probably due to the extra lemon juice. Either way I loved the jam.


Ingredients (makes about 6 half pints) from Blue Book Guide to Preserving p 76

5 cups peaches, peeled and finely chopped

1 cup peach juice, water, apple juice, or white grape juice (I used peach juice)

2 tbsp bottled lemon juice

1 package (6 tbsp) no sugar needed powder pectin (I used Ball’s no sugar needed powder pectin)

Directions

1. Add all the ingredients in a saucepot and stir well to dissolve the pectin.

2. Bring the mixture to a boil. Boil for 1 minute while stirring constantly. If the mixture starts to form a gel before 1 minute, then remove from the heat early. My sugar free raspberry jam did not form a gel early.

3. Remove the jam from the heat and ladle into hot sterile jars leaving ¼” headspace.

4. Place the lids on top of the jars and adjust the 2 piece caps.

5. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.

Posted on Whatever Goes Wednesday, What's Cooking Wednesday,

14 comments:

  1. Awesome! I have never seen a sugar-free jam recipe that didn't have artificial sweeteners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great recipe. My mother in law always makes jam but it heavy on sugar. I will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious!
    Just made my first jam ever with this recipe and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I am glad that you enjoyed the jam.

      Delete
    2. Do you or anyone know how many carbs in a serving?

      Delete
    3. I am sorry I do not know how many carbs are in a serving

      Delete
  4. How much pectin is in a "package"? Please provide a known measure, such as teaspoons or Tablespoons. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello!

    Thank you so much for such a great recipe. I used peach juice, no sugar added, and it sweetened my peaches perfectly. I had a bounty of peaches both yellow and white to make 3 batches. It was a great way to spend a cool Saturday. Thank again. I look forward to trying more of your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you happen to know the calorie content?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry, I do not know the calorie count. You could probably get an estimate on Sparkpeople since you know all the ingredients. I would assume a serving size for most people would be 1 tbsp.

      Delete
  7. I am going to be trying this recipe next week. I'm looking forward to tasting it. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What kind of peach juice? Do you mean to juice the fresh peach and use it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the juice that I collected from cutting so many peaches. You could use fresh peach juice or you could use one of the substitutes mentioned above.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails