Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Canning Sugar Free Grape Jelly

With our abundance of grapes this year I wanted to make grape jelly. In particular I wanted to make sugar free jelly because our Concord grapes were very sweet on their own without any added sugar. To make the grape jelly I simply used the juice that extracted from the grapes in my Concord grape juice concentrate.
The grape jelly was very easy to make using no sugar needed powdered pectin that can be found in the canning section of your grocery store. The jelly took 72 hours to completely set, but it was worth the wait. The jelly had an intense grape flavor with a hint of sweetness. This jelly is not nearly as sweet as commercial jelly from the grocery store. This jelly would make an excellent gift for someone who is trying to watch their sugar intake. Plus, I love the fact that the jelly did not use artificial sweeteners either. I highly recommend this recipe to anyone whom loves grape jelly.

Ingredients modified from Blue Book Guide to Preserving p 75 (makes approximately 4 half pints)
1 package (6 tbsp) no sugar needed powdered pectin
Directions
Place the grape juice and powdered pectin in a large saucepot. Mix well. Heat the mixture over medium high heat. Allow the jelly to boil hard for 1 minute while stirring constantly. Remove the jelly from the heat and ladle into hot sterile jars leaving ¼” headspace. Place the lids on the jars and adjust the two piece caps. Process the jars 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.

Posted on These Chicks Cook, Gooseberry Patch: Recipes to Give, Whatever Goes Wednesday, What's Cooking Wednesday, Penny Pinching Party, Hearth and Soul Blog Hop

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this! I always like to find things with less sugar or sugar free.

    New follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelli, thank you for following my blog. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you do the same with white grapes?

      Delete
    2. Yes. This recipe will work with white grapes.

      Delete
  3. This looks SO delicious and I love how it's made with no added sugar, I’m book-marking this to make later! I found you via “This Chick Cooks Link Party”. I’m your newest follower and would love a “follow back”!

    Have a great week,

    Jillian @ www.foodfolksandfun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grape jelly is my absolute favorite - yet I've never made it. Perhaps now that I have a sugar free recipe. Thanks for sharing your recipe with the hearth and Soul Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What size is the package of no sugar powdered pectin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One "old box" of the Ball sugar free pectin or 6 tbsp of the bulk jars.

      Delete
  6. Can I use bottled juice with this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,

      I have never tried this recipe with bottled grape juice, but it should work just fine. I would look for a juice without a lot of preservatives.

      Delete
  7. http://www.amazon.com/Ball-RealFruitTM-Low-No-Sugar-Needed-Pectin/dp/B004U8R0QA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377464577&sr=8-1&keywords=no+sugar+pectin

    What if I were to buy this pectin? Would I need 6 tbs?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Will this store as long as Jelly with sugar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found that it does not last quiet as long as jelly with sugar. I have gotten this jelly to last 9 months without any problems. After that I do notice that some juice starts to separate from the jelly. This will also depend upon your storage conditions as well. I store my jelly in a cool dark place.

      Delete
  9. Can this be made as freezer jelly? I would love to try this but I don't think I'm wanting to try canning yet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never made freezer jam before, so I am not sure. However, I did find a product for sugar free freezer jam pectin. I would follow the instructions the manufacture provides. Please let me know how it goes if you do try it. http://www.amazon.com/Bernardin-Pectin-Freezer-Sugar-Free/dp/B000FW155C

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails