I adore breakfast couscous with its fluffy texture and a hint of sweetness. Miss Bubbles can eat a large bowl of breakfast couscous in the morning. Breakfast couscous is very quick to prepare in the morning, and you can use any dried fruit, nuts, seeds, or fresh fruit that you have on hand making this a very versatile breakfast. Our current favorite version is with toasted pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries. The cranberries are slightly tart and compliment the sweet couscous well. I use honey or maple syrup as the sweetener along with a little bit of cinnamon to add some extra spice.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1/3 cup couscous
- 2/3 cup milk or milk substitute
- 1 tsp honey or maple syrup
- ½ tsp cinnamon, ground
- 1/3 cup cranberries, dried
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds, toasted (also called pepitos)
1. Heat the couscous, milk, honey, cinnamon, and cranberries in a pot over medium heat. Stir frequently.
2. Remove the pot from the heat when all the milk has been absorbed into the couscous, about 3-5 minutes.
3. Place the couscous in bowls and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds. Serve warm.