Saturday, June 21, 2014

An Easy Way to Preserve Mulberries: Freezing Mulberry Puree



I am very fortunate to have a delicious mulberry tree in my backyard. I loves these fragile purple little fruits. They taste like a cross between a blackberry and a Concord grape. The fruit will stain you hands easily, but you can rub your hands against mulberry leaves to help fade the color away. I usually make a delicious mulberry jam, but this year I needed a quicker method to preserve the mulberries.

At first I considered flash freezing the mulberries like I do strawberries, but this seemed like a lot of work to wash the fruit then gently place them on a cookie sheet without touching one another and freezing each one individually. In fact, this seemed rather silly when I considered that my end use for the mulberries was going to be smoothies. There was no point in having perfect little mulberries since I am going to puree them anyway. Then, I had an obvious epiphany to just puree the mulberries first then freeze them in an ice cube tray for smoothies later. I have no idea why I did not think of this the first time through since I already do this for other things like pesto. I pureed the mulberries stem and all since the little stem does not come off without making a mess. Inside a smoothie, I do not notice the little bits of stem, so this was a quick and easy solution. After the puree is frozen, I pop the mulberry cubes out of the ice cube tray and transfer the cubes into a bag in the freezer.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea! We had a mulberry tree when I was growing up and the berries were always so good!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails